Sciatica Relief from Your Chiropractor in St. Robert, MO
Many people believe that sciatica is a disorder when in fact it is actually a symptom of one. Sciatica patients who visit our Townsend Wellness Center will find it reassuring to know that sciatica relief is possible, thanks to natural treatments offered by your chiropractor in St. Robert, MO.
Overview of Sciatica
The cause of sciatic symptoms is compression of the sciatic nerve. This long nerve originates in your lower back and branches down the back of each of your legs. Pressure can cause a loss of feeling, paralysis of muscles or of a limb, and insomnia.
This compression has several possible causes:
- Lumbar spine subluxations
- Piriformis syndrome
- Herniated (slipped) or bulging discs
- Disorders such as constipation or diabetes
- Sitting on a wallet lodged in a back pocket
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Excess weight
Sciatica typically strikes only one side of an individual’s body. Patients who visit our Townsend Wellness Center often have one or more of these symptoms:
- Leg or rear pain that worsens when seated
- A tingling or burning sensation running down a leg
- Trouble moving a foot or a leg
- Weakness or numbness in the affected limb
- Constant pain on one side of your rear
- Shooting pain that hinders standing
Effective sciatica treatment relies on a correct diagnosis. Our doctor of chiropractic reviews your medical history, conducts a physical exam, and makes a neurological assessment. Various tests are also helpful in confirming sciatica.
Sciatica Treatment from Your Chiropractor in St. Robert, MO
The basis of using chiropractic for sciatica treatment is boosting your body's potential to self-heal. This relies on the belief that with restricted spinal movement, patients experience pain, along with lowered function and performance. Your chiropractor in St. Robert, MO provides natural sciatica care that is non-surgical and medication-free.
The most appropriate therapy depends on the cause of an individual’s sciatica. Each of our patients receives a customized treatment plan that frequently includes a combination of these therapies:
- Use of ice/cold: This helps control the pain associated with sciatica by reducing inflammation.
- Ultrasound: It uses sound waves to create a gentle heat that penetrates into deep layers of tissue to boost circulation. Its use also reduces pain, cramping, stiffness, muscle spasms, and swelling.
- Use of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): This technology utilizes a machine to stimulate muscles. Varying electrical current intensities calm spasming muscles and control pain. In addition to the professional-level machines chiropractors use, patients can utilize a portable version at home.
- Spinal adjustments: They are the core of chiropractic practice. Manipulation corrects spinal misalignment. This eliminates nerve issues that cause the symptoms associated with sciatica.
Schedule an Appointment with Our St. Robert Chiropractor
Is pain sidelining your normal activities? For sciatica relief, call our Townsend Wellness Center today at 573-336-4221 to schedule a consultation with our chiropractor, Dr. Rick Townsend. Ask about our signature program, The Six Steps to Wellness, and how it can help you achieve the healthiest life possible.